Monday, November 5, 2012

Reunion, Reunion, Reunion!!!

What an exciting October I had...my official 45th high school class reunion had come and gone in August, without many of my friends or myself attending.  SO, some very dedicated "girls of '67" decided we just had to get together in October...how about Berea High School's very last Homecoming??  Our alma mater will be combined with our arch rival school, to form one high school, starting next year.  No more red and blue; no more Berea Braves!  It was decided...it would be a girls' weekend to remember!

I began my trip with a visit to "the other Chris" for a couple of days.  We walked and talked; we hit some of the highlights of Cleveland, Ohio (Oh YES there are!!).  We renewed our wonderful friendship, and had a great time!

 We toured the Cleveland Botanical Gardens...chasing butterflies in the "rainforest"
 We think we identified Berea grindstones being used as stepping stones along the paths
                                                The Cleveland Art Museum
 We visited President Garfield's memorial in Lakeview Cemetery...our docent told us many interesting facts...
 As we were leaving, he asked where we were from...when I said, "Idaho" he told us to wait while he looked up something in a large ledger...he then reported that the people of "the Idaho Territory" (!) donated $12 to the building of this memorial.

Now I'm off to the old hometown...Berea, Ohio...
 Before the rains came, we were at the BHS Homecoming game...the half-time show was fantastic!
 The band wasn't as big as it was 3 years ago, but still great entertainment!
 Now, here is the embarrassing moment none of us expected...Carolyn had kept a stash of incriminating letters/notes from junior high and beyond; wrapped them up and delivered them to the senders.  OH MY...
I don't remember writing them, thank goodness, but I recognized the hand-writing and had to own up.  Really hilarious and a bit humiliating.
 Hurry...set the timer...run and jump on the bed!  Still crazy after all these years!

I wanted to see my cousins who still live in Ohio...Don, and Mary Lou with their dad, Uncle Al and Mary Lou's daughter, Stephanie, and my cousin Margaret...we represented the families of all 3 Olsen girls: Violet, my mom, Lucille, and Lura.
 And then, I was off to Kansas City...two of my grandnieces welcomed me with signs and smiles!

                                                   Sisters' reunion...so good to be together!

No comments: